On the two day course, you will have ample opportunity to explore various stone setting approaches and be able to take the skills away with you to further develop in your own making context.
The 2 day stone setting course in Ely is the ideal way to further develop your skills in making silver jewellery, with a specific focus on basic rub-over stone settings.
The course is designed for those of you who have some basic knowledge of silver jewellery making and is ideal for people who have previously taken the one and two day silver jewellery courses with Jonathan Deer Jewellery. Unfortunately the course is not suitable for complete beginners.
The following topics are covered, with plenty of hands on to put into practice what we cover in the stone setting course:
- Introduction to stone setting options – the key techniques in stone setting
- Overview of stone options (semi-precious and precious gemstones)
- Useful tools and resources needed for stone setting
- Bezel setting for uniform round/oval cabachons
- Bezel setting for non-uniform shaped cabochons
- Basic Tube setting approaches (including making a ring/pendant to provide a base for a tube set)
- Flush setting
As all our classes cater for a maximum of three participants, you can be sure that you will have a more personalised experience and truly have the mentoring and guidance needed.
You will be provided with all the basic materials needed to complete the course, including silver for a ring/pendant and tube/bezel strip/wire for setting. Practice stones are also provided (cubic zirconia and quartz).
Prior to the course I can arrange for the purchase of semi-precious/precious stones (prices according to stones selected), if you’d like to complete a project using stones you have chosen - please contact me directly for options and to discuss suitability of stones for specific projects.
During the two days I provide a light lunch and tea, coffee and homemade biscuits.